Happy Vegan MoFo post 5! Phew! Only 25 more to go… I was inspired to create a cheesy pasta style recipe from the suggestion of one of my lovely twitter followers and I’m so happy she suggested I try this!
So mac and cheese is something we’ve probably all experienced at one point in our previous non-vegan lives. When I was a kid, I loved the velveeta mac and cheese shells, but little did I know about Velveeta and those little blue boxes. The super processed neon-orange block of some substance isn’t super appetizing anymore! But sometimes, I crave that comforting, gooey, cheesy, and creamy mac and cheese, which can be tricky to achieve. But I have found a great way to create that cheesy, comforting, typical mac and cheese without the super processed and dairy oriented ingredients. This better than velveeta mac and cheese vegan shells recipe is the perfect dish to mimic that childhood staple without all the chemicals and dairy! Instead of the block of who knows what, this sauce is:
dairy free, vegan
Play around with this recipe, this one is a good base. I think I’m going to try some poblanos and tempeh bacon in it next time!
This dish is great topped with a little basil!
- Cook pasta according to package directions. Meanwhile prepare your cheese sauce.
- Melt your butter over medium low heat.
- Add in your coconut milk (or other non-dairy milk) and whisk for about 2 minutes until it reaches a very light simmer.
- Add in your nutritional yeast, garlic powder, turmeric, and salt.
- Whisk until everything is well combined, making sure it doesn’t stick to the bottom of your saucepan. If its starting to boil or stick, lower heat.
- Once your sauce has thickened and everything is well incorporated, pour over your cooked noodles, top with pepper and chopped basil, and serve immediately.
- Snob Away
I hope you enjoy this dish and that it brings back some childhood memories!
Like this recipe? Want more?
Then check out my Most Popular Top 10 Vegan Recipes!