I know it’s been forever since I’ve last posted, but I’m (slowly) getting unpacked in my new Brooklyn home! Its so amazing how vegan friendly New York is! I feel so spoiled! Last week I ordered a vegan cheese, sausage (yes sausage), and jalapeño pizza for delivery! Plus there’s this awesome vegan bar around the corner from my house that I’ve been dying to check out! Needless to say, there will be a lot more food reviews coming. For those of you who are in the NYC or Brooklyn area, I’d love to hear from you! Leave me a comment with your favorite NYC/Brooklyn hangout that I should check out!
One super quick and easy vegan meal that I love is homemade veggie burgers. These guys are super easy to make and are super healthy. I love making my own homemade veggie burgers because then I know exactly what’s going in them, they aren’t super processed, and they’re cheap to make! This veggie burger recipe features chickpeas and carrots. One of my favorite vegan cooking secrets is to use liquid smoke. It gives food that meaty, smoky flavor without needing a grill! As always feel free to experiment with your add ins and seasoning. For this recipe, you may find that your burger is falling apart when grilling up, something I always struggle with, so if you find this is happening to you, just add more flax meal to your burger mix, or more breadcrumbs.
- ½ cup canned chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- ½ cup of carrot puree
- 2 sprigs of fresh rosemary
- ¼ cup of raw, unsalted pepitas
- ¼ cup of ground flax meal
- 1 tsp liquid smoke
- 1 tsp vegan Worchester sauce
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp onion powder
- ½ tsp turmeric
- 1 Tbl. tahini
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 Tbl. nutritional yeast (optional)
- 1 cup of vegan breadcrumbs (check those labels, often times these include milk!)
- olive oil for frying
- Put your chickpeas, carrot puree, rosemary, pepitas, and flax meal into your food processor and pulse so that a few chickpeas are still whole, but everything is well ground into a dough-like substance. Or you can hand mash everything, which would produce a better consistency, however takes more time, you decide!
- Once your veggie burger mix has reached its desired consistency, move to a bowl. Add in your seasonings and mix until everything is well combined.
- Create small balls of the veggie burger mix and roll them into your breadcrumb mixture until they are well coated all around. Put aside.
- Heat1 Tbl. of olive oil over medium heat in a large skillet or non-stick pan.
- Add your veggie burger balls to the heat and flatten them down a little with a spatula. Cook for about 5 minutes until the bottom is nice and browned.
- Flip the burger (be careful!) and cook for an additional 5 minutes or so until both sides are crispy and golden brown.
- Serve on a bun with some of your favorite fixin's (I used a homemade cashew queso).
- Snob Away
I hope you enjoy this recipe and if you have any veggie burger tips for cooking burgers that won’t fall apart, leave me a comment in the comments below! I’d love to hear what you do!
Did you like this recipe?Sign Up To Get A Vegan Cookbook Plus Recipes to Your Inbox!