The weather is finally beginning to feel more like fall, and what perfect timing since today is officially the first day of fall! Woohoo! So in celebration (and for some of you mourning) of the new cooler temperatures, I’ve created a comforting, creamy, coconut butternut squash soup packed with fall flavors and color! All we need now are some of those orange leaves on the ground!
As forewarning, this soup is on the sweeter side since there’s apples and a little bit of maple syrup, so for those of you who want a spicier or more savory soup, opt for some cayenne or more curry and no maple syrup. It’s crazy this is the last full week of vegan mofo. Time flies when you’re swamped with vegan recipes! 🙂
Want more butternut squash recipes? Download my favorite fall recipes ebook for more!
- 1 tsp coconut oil
- ½ yellow onion, sliced
- 1 medium sweet potato, quartered
- 2 apples, cored
- ½ roasted butternut squash (directions below)
- 2 sprigs of rosemary, chopped
- 5 sage leaves, chopped
- 3 cups broth or water
- 1 tsp turmeric
- ½ tsp paprika
- 1 tsp liquid smoke
- ¼ tsp curry powder
- sea salt, to taste
- ½ can coconut milk
- 1 tsp pure maple syrup (optional)
- Heat oil over medium heat. Add in your chopped onions and sauté until translucent and tender, about 4 minutes.
- Add in your sweet potatoes, apples, butternut squash, rosemary, and sage and coat with the oil, cook for about 1 minute until fragrant.
- Add in your broth and stir so that your butternut squash doesn’t stick to the bottom of the pan. Bring your broth to a boil.
- Add in your turmeric, paprika, liquid smoke, and curry powder and reduce to a simmer and cook for about 25 minutes, or until your sweet potatoes are tender.
- Wait until your soup has cooled a bit and blend either using a food processor or blender or handheld blender.
- Add in your coconut milk, taste for salt, and maple syrup (if using), and whip it up until thickened. Reheat over medium heat. Serve immediately topped with fresh pepitas!
- Snob Away!
Also, as a happy fall gift for you, I’ve compiled all my favorite vegan fall recipes into one eBook for you to download! This eBook has desserts, breakfast, lunch, and dinner options that are all fall themed. This recipe is included in the book, and so if you want all my fall posts in one easy place, click to download your copy!
I hope you enjoy this recipe and more of my fall favorites! I hope you’ve been enjoying vegan MoFo this month! I sure have! Only 8 posts left!
Happy Meatless Monday & Happy Snobbing,