Yeah yeah yeah I know summer is almost over, but I recently made some bbq tofu and thought coleslaw would be a great addition to my bbq platter. However, as this always happens in my kitchen, I was missing the number one coleslaw ingredient, cabbage! But then I had an idea, kale!
And the kale version was delicious! This healthy version kale coleslaw tastes just like the same thing, but it doesn’t have the heavy mayo or any dairy! I loved this adaptation to the standard coleslaw, however, if cabbage is really what you’re in the mood for, just substitute the cabbage for the kale. Just keep in mind you will want to massage the dressing into the kale and (if you’re like me) don’t keep adding dressing, just work the dressing into the kale, I always think it seems dry and then end up over dressing my kale! Celebrate the end of summer with a vegan, healthy summer favorite.
- 1 large bunch of kale
- 2 carrots, peeled
- 2 Tbl tahini
- 1 Tbl Dijon mustard
- 2 Tbl apple cider vinegar
- 1 Tbl agave
- ½ tsp of salt
- 1 Tbl of grated or finely sliced red onion (about ¼ of an onion)
- Begin by shredding your kale. I found the easiest way to do this was using my food processor with the slicing disk (aka the scary one), but you can also just chop it quickly with the normal blade or chop it up finely or tear the leaves. It doesn’t shred like cabbage does, but it still works well if finely chopped in this recipe.
- Next, shred your two carrots. I found the easiest way to do this was by using the food processor grater attachment. However, if you don’t want to use 2 different food processor blades, then you can just chop this up finely too.
- In a medium size bowl combine your tahini, mustard, vinegar, agave, and salt and stir until everything is well combined.
- Next, add your kale, carrots, and red onion to a medium sized bowl and mix up your veggies.
- Add in 1 Tbl of your dressing mix into the veggie mix and massage into the veggies until the veggie mix is as creamy as you want it! Serve Immediately.
- Snob Away!
I hope you liked this recipe! Stay tuned for my upcoming Vegan MoFo bbq post that goes super well with this slaw!
Like this recipe? Want more?
Then check out my 20+ page back to school vegan recipe ebook!