Spring is on its way. This past weekend everyone was outside enjoying the thaw of winter and now we’re awaiting the anticipated arrival of the DC cherry blossoms! I can’t wait! There were even people picnicking at cutesy Lincoln Park! So this weekend I threw together a quick easy vegan macaroni salad in memory of summer and so that I could do something quick and get my butt outside!
Macaroni Salad is one of those “all American” recipes that we’ve all probably had at one point or another, but, its also one of those not-so-vegan friendly recipes either. But not to fear! I have gone ahead and veganized this dish so that you can still have your guilty pleasure at barbecues this summer (which isn’t that far off!), or if you’re like me, at the forefront of spring, when you’re craving something summer-y.
Did you know that this recipe was your favorite of 2014?! Want more just like it? Download my 10 most popular recipes eBook for more easy, delicious, vegan and vegetarian recipes that you and your family will be sure to love! These recipes won’t leave you feeling bored or bogged down! So download your copy today!
I used vegan mayo for this, specifically used Hampton Creek’s version Just Mayo (I like the new guys!), but I also love Follow Your Heart’s Vegenaise (especially the low fat kind because its half the amount of calories!). Both can be found at your local Whole Foods or healthy grocery store chains.
- 2 Cups macaroni, cooked, drained, cooled
- ½ Cup of diced celery
- ¼ Cup of minced red onion (soak it in water to dilute the flavor a bit!)
- 1 Tbl minced fresh parsley
- ½ Cup cherry tomatoes chopped
- ½ Cup plus 2 Tbl Vegan Mayo (I used Just Mayo by Hampton Creek)
- 1 Tbl of mustard (I used a spicy horseradish one!)
- 1½ tsp vegan sugar
- 1½ Tbl apple cider vinegar
- ½ tsp salt
- pepper to taste
- In a large bowl, add in your macaroni, celery, red onion, parsley, and cherry tomatoes.
- If you want you can add these "wet" ingredients into another bowl and whisk (its a bit easier to do this) or if you don't like creating more dirty dishes (like me) just throw it all in too. Add your vegan mayo, mustard, sugar, and vinegar
- If you haven't done this yet, mix the wet ingredients into your pasta bowl and stir until well combined.
- Add salt and pepper to taste
- Add more vegan mayo if its too dry or add more celery if you want more crunch!
- Snob Away
Adapted and Veganized from American Macaroni Salad- http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/food-network-kitchens/american-macaroni-salad-recipe.html
Let me know what you think! And, as always, feel free to be a food scientist and play with proportions! Tell me what you do to change the dish up! Be sure to let me know how it went by leaving comments below! If you like this recipe be sure to share it with your friends! Its up to us to create a collaborative vegan community because change happens when people join forces! Thank you for your support lovebirds!