Ok, so I’ll be honest, I’m not a huge chili fan. I just usually find chili to be a bit boring. But then my sister sent me a link to a pin that I oughta try vegan-style. I decided why not give chili another try? And I’m sure glad I did! This vegan sweet potato chili is perfect actually because it has a ton of hearty, healthy ingredients, and is packed with protein. I’ve heard a lot recently about these “1 pot” dishes and never really made any myself, except for soup of course, and now I’m hooked!
It’s so easy and this vegan sweet potato chili in particular tastes great! The hearty, “meaty” lentils mixed with the sweetness of the sweet potatoes, and finally matched to the nooch-y cheese sauce, this dish, although simple to prepare, has complex flavors! There’s quinoa, lentils, sweet potato, nooch, white beans, kidney beans, and a smoky poblano! Pair this chili with some vegan cornbread and you’ll have a perfect, crisp, fall weather recipe! Don’t be intimidated by the list of ingredients. It may seem like a lot, but it doesn’t take very long to prepare and doesn’t require much prep work.
Like this recipe? Want more like it? Download my fall favorite recipe ebook!
- olive oil
- 3 cloves of garlic, minced
- ½ of one yellow onion, diced
- 1 roasted poblano, sliced
- 1 large sweet potato, cubed
- 2 cups cooked lentils
- ½ cup of cooked quinoa
- ¾ tsp cumin
- ½ tsp chili powder
- ¼ tsp paprika
- ¾ cup of tomato sauce or marinara
- 1 cup of vegetable broth
- 1 can of white beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 can of kidney beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 cup of non-dairy milk
- ½ cup of nutritional yeast (nooch)
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- ½ tsp of salt
- pepper, to taste
- raw pepitas, for garnish
- In a heavy bottomed saucepan, or Dutch oven, heat your olive oil over medium heat. Add in your garlic, onion, and poblano and cook for a couple of minutes until translucent.
- Next add in your sweet potato, lentils, quinoa, cumin, chili powder, and paprika, and cook until fragrant and until all the elements are coated in spice, for just about a minute or so, stirring often so that the lentils and quinoa don’t stick to the bottom of your pan.
- Add in your tomato sauce, vegetable broth, white beans, kidney beans, lower the heat to a simmer and cook for about 20 minutes covered, until the sweet potato chunks are tender.
- Next add in your non-dairy milk, nutritional yeast, garlic powder, salt, and pepper and cook for another 5 minutes until everything is heated through.
- Be careful, this dish will be hot! Let cool and top with some pepitas!
- Snob Away
I hope you warm up this fall with this hearty fall dish! Enjoy!
This is post 12 of vegan mofo! Only 18 more to go! I’m almost half way there! I’m starting to get used to this thing!
Not ready for this recipe quite yet? Pin it for later!
Do you have a recipe you’d like me to veganize? Send me a pin!
Happy Snobbing, Mofoing, and Happy Weekend!
Like this recipe? Want more like it?
Download my 12 Fall Favorite vegan recipes ebook to get them all in one easy place!