So I’ve had a history of living in apartments without access to a proper grill. In fact, I wouldn’t know how to operate a grill if I had one! How do you even light those things? Normal people also have cast-iron skillets, but I, regretfully, left mine in my parents basement upon moving from Colorado to D.C. and haven’t yet bought a new one.
But I didn’t want want to feel left out of the summertime corn grilling extravaganzas just because I’m lacking in those “crucial” summer barbecuing areas. So I got creative, which is something that I’ve learned being vegan requires, creativity! But if you’re not feeling super creative, don’t worry, I’ve got both of us covered!
So all you need is a skillet and you can create beautiful browned corn right in the comfort of your own home! My secret weapon? Smoke sauce! It gives the corn a nice smoky flavor despite not having an actual grill with actual smoke! Recipe and steps are below! Enjoy!
- 4 ears of corn, with the husks removed
- ¼ cup plus 1 Tbl of olive oil
- 1 Tbl liquid smoke
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp onion powder
- 1 tsp red pepper flakes
- 1 tsp paprika
- salt and pepper to taste
- Mix together your olive oil, liquid smoke, garlic and onion powders, red pepper flakes, paprika, and stir until all those ingredients are well combined into an olive oil, spice mixture.
- Brush your ears of corn with the mix. You'll want to get it pretty well coated so that it helps with the flavor and grilling of the corn.
- Heat 1 Tbl olive oil in your skillet over medium high heat.
- Add in all 4 ears of corn, if they will all fit in the pan, otherwise do in batches, and using tongs, flip them every 2 minutes or so until the sides of the corn are golden brown. You might need to add a bit more olive oil mixture onto the corn as it cooks using your brush, just keep an eye on the corn to make sure it isn't drying out.
- You will want to cook the corn for approximately 10 minutes depending on your preference, I found that the pieces of corn which were the darkest tasted the most delicious! Check your corn and cook until tender.
- If you notice that the corn is cooking too quickly, or the pan is too hot, lower the heat a bit and continue turning your corn.
- BE CAREFUL! If your corn gets too hot, it will (trust me I experienced this) pop! The little kernels will explode!
- Once the corn is to your desired color and tenderness, add some salt and pepper to taste.
- Snob Away!
See how easy that is?! I loved my beautiful grilled-esque corn. I won’t tell that its not grilled if you don’t!
What are your favorite summertime tricks/hacks? What do you like grilling most? Leave a comment below and let me know!
P.S. Did you hear I have a new FREE mini-cookbook out, all you have to do is subscribe to my newsletter for the free 7 recipe cookbook! Signup form is on the right!