Happy meatless Monday! In our second post of the Meatless Monday segments, we’re featuring a nice comforting cheesy mac cauliflower (Check out our first meatless Monday recipe if you missed it!). I know I know cauliflower? But trust me, it’s very versatile, healthy, and actually, yes, I’m not lying, delicious! Sometimes we just crave those home-cooked childhood dishes and if anything represents an American childhood, besides slip n’slides of course, its Mac N Cheese. So here’s our vegan contribution to our childhoods! It’s a great vegan dish and its easily a gluten-free dish, just leave out the breadcrumbs (I’ve done it and it’s delicious!)! Also add a bit of broccoli if you really want to go all out on your veggies!
This version of cauliflower mac and cheese is the perfect Monday dish because it’s fast and easy, a great ease into your busy week. Try it out, let us know what you think in the comments below and enjoy! Be sure to stay tuned, we’re cooking up a lot of great things over here at VegetarianSnob that we’ll be unrolling for you soon! A new segment all dedicated to Vegan Quick Fixes and the looming Vegan Thanksgiving. We’ve got a few tricks up our sleeves…
Feeling bored and uninspired with your vegan and vegetarian recipe searching? Download my 10 most popular vegan and vegetarian recipes so that you can end your search and make delicious recipes you and your family will love!
But in the meantime, snob away you cheesy snobs you.
Hopefully this Meatless Monday Vegan Cheesy Cauliflower Mac and cheese will give you your mac and cheese fix without all the unhealthy dairy or added calories! If you’re new to nutritional yeast, it has a great nutty, cheesy taste to it that is great for making vegan cheesy sauces out of. You can find it at most natural grocery stores like Whole Foods (in their bulk section), or local vitamin shops, or you can get it online! Play around with it and just use the cheesy sauce recipe and put it over noodles, veggie dogs, or over tortilla chips for vegan nachos! Or add it to vegan tofu scramble!
- 1 Head of cauliflower
- ½ cup Bread Crumbs (we food process old baguettes as most store bought breadcrumbs contain dairy/eggs)
- frozen peas to your liking
- 1 tsp paprika
- "Cheesy" Sauce Ingredients
- ½ cup Almond Milk (+/- depending on how thick you want sauce)
- 2 Tbl Earth Balance (vegan butter)
- ½ cup Nutritional Yeast
- 1 tsp Garlic Powder
- 1 tsp Turmeric
- ½ tsp Salt
- ½ tsp Pepper
- Wash cauliflower and remove large stalks and leaves and microwave for 3 minutes (or boil to precook) and let cool for a few minutes
- Butter up a large glass baking dish you choose your size, it doesn't really matter
- Crumble up cauliflower curds into bite sized pieces and place in large bowl
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F
- Make "cheesy" sauce by combining all ingredients into a medium pot and cook on medium heat for 5 minutes until the butter has melted and until nutritional yeast has mixed in (mix with a whisk!)
- Slowly pour cheesy sauce onto the cauliflower in the large bowl and mix it around coating all the curds
- Pour cheesy cauliflower mixture into the greased baking dish
- Top with breadcrumbs (or leave out for a gluten-free dish) and put into the oven for 15 minutes
- Add peas to the top and bake in the oven for an additional 5 minutes
- Cool down a bit, and enjoy!
- Snob Away!
P.S. Be sure to download your copy of my Top 10 Most Popular Vegan and Vegetarian Recipes that You and Your Family Will Love!