So, I don’t typically post recipes like this one, but tonight I wanted to feature something that’s quick, simple, and delicious. This is a simple recipe for a vegan grilled cheese sandwich using Daiya with the addition of tempeh bacon and roasted poblanos for a gourmet twist! The only thing that takes more than 5 minutes, might be roasting the poblano, but it’s super simple. All you have to do is put on your broiler and broil the peppers for about 7 minutes until the skins turn black, remove the skins, then grill your sandwich!
So this recipe uses store bought vegan cheese and if you’re like me, you might find the flavor a bit strong. But with this recipe the garlic paired with the poblano and butter, the flavor of the vegan cheese is a little more muted and the flavor resembles the all american childhood favorite! Plus this way you don’t have to worry about creating your own cheese! This recipe is adaptable as well, so if poblanos and tomatoes aren’t your thing, try it out with jalepenos or basil! Top the sandwich with some avocado and some tempeh bacon and you’ll have an ultimate vegan sandwich! You can find vegan cheese (for this recipe I used Daiya) at local health food stores and many chain style grocery stores carry it now, so just take a look! The key to this style of grilled cheese is some vegan butter (I use Earth Balance) to get the bread and the cheese crispy. Yeah yeah it’s not healthy or anything, but it’s Friday, so treat yourself.
Want more lunch options or some fall favorites? Download my fall favorite recipes ebook for more savory (and sweet) recipes!
- ½ poblano
- 2 slices of bread of your choice!
- 1 Tbl Earth Balance vegan butter or olive oil + more depending on how crispy/greasy you want your sandwich to be!
- 1 tsp of garlic powder
- ½ cup of cheddar style daiya
- tomato slices
- 2 slices of tempeh bacon
- ½ avocado, sliced
- Preheat the broiler and broil your poblano pepper for about 5-7 minutes until the skin is blackened. Don’t worry if parts of the skin aren’t blackened.
- Put your poblano in a paper bag to cool for a little bit.
- You can wear rubber gloves if you have sensitive skin (I don’t, just don’t touch your eyes or face!), and peel off the skin of the poblano. Slice it up for your sandwich. Set aside.
- Depending on how greasy/crispy you want your sandwich to be, butter 1 side of each of your slices of bread. Sprinkle a little bit of your garlic powder on each side of the bread.
- Heat a little bit of olive oil or butter over medium heat in a skillet (I used a non-stick). If using tempeh bacon, begin to grill it up until it is browned, just about 3 minutes.
- Add in your slices of bread, buttered side down and cook up a bit until golden in the same oil/butter that you cooked the tempeh bacon in. Flip occasionally to help cook both sides.
- Add your daiya, tomato, poblano and tempeh bacon slices to your bread and let it get a little melty while your bread gets toasty and this way you won’t have to worry too much about the treacherous sandwich flip! Top your cheesy half with the other piece of toasted bread.
- But for you daredevils out there, now you can go ahead and attempt to flip your sandwich to try and melt the top layer of the cheese.
- Remove from heat, slice in half top with avocado!
- Snob Away!
I hope you like this recipe! Happy vegan mofo post 19!
Like this recipe? Try out your own version? Share it with me via social media using #vegetariansnob! I love to see what you’re cooking up!
Want more recipes in a nice little PDF?
Then check out my favorite fall recipes ebook!