This Simple Cafe Style Seitan Sandwich is super quick and easy to put together. I love this sandwich because I love the richness of the seitan paired with the chewiness of a french style baguette. I’m a baguette snob, so I suggest pairing the seitan (which is chewy on its own) with a tougher, chewier, bread that is best when torn into pieces.
This sandwich reminds of a sandwich you might order while seated at a cutsey Parisian cafe, when the weather begins to change and its brisk, but still warm! The sandwich is smoky, with a hint of sweet from the maple. I love sandwiches for lunch, especially when I’m busy, I know these recipes seem super simple, but sometimes I (maybe you too?) need a little reminder to enjoy simple, recipes when busy.
This sandwich might also be great with a little tomato and avocado sliced on top or for a little kick, add some jalepeno or red pepper flakes! That’s why I love sandwiches, they’re easy to make and easy to adapt!
- olive oil
- 1 serving of seitan (in the photo I used Monk's Meat)
- 1 tsp liquid smoke
- 1 tsp vegan Worcestershire sauce
- 1 tsp pure maple syrup
- 1 sprig of fresh rosemary
- ½ cup of fresh arugula
- 1 Tbl your favorite vegan mayo
- Heat a drizzle of olive oil over medium heat
- Add in your seitan to the oil and cook for a few minutes, flipping it occasionally to cook all the sides.
- Add in your liquid smoke, Worcestershire sauce, maple syrup, and chopped rosemary in the pan cook for about 5 minutes until the seitan is browned on all sides
- Meanwhile cut your baguette in half and slice it open lengthwise
- Layer on your vegan mayo, then add on your fresh arugula
- Add your seitan to your baguette and eat immediately
- Snob away
I hope you liked this recipe and happy Vegan MoFo, I’m almost a week in! Whew!
Like this recipe? Want more?
Then check out my 20+ page back to school vegan recipe ebook!Download Your eBook!