This recipe for homemade vegan country style pepper sausage gravy is perfect for biscuits and gravy, on top of some tofu scramble, or anywhere else you’d think to put a sausage gravy! Depending on the dish you’re making, prepare the TVP/TSP according to the spices you’re using in your main dish. For this recipe I used canned coconut milk in place of heavy cream used in many old fashioned gravy recipes. For an even lighter version, feel free to substitute more non-dairy milk in the recipe until the gravy is to your desired consistency.
- 1 cup of prepared TVP (texturized vegetable protein)/TSP (texturized soy protein) sausage OR store bought vegan ground beef crumbles
- 1 can of coconut milk
- ⅓ cup of all-purpose flour
- ½ tsp salt
- ¼ cup almond milk (or more depending on how thick you want your gravy to be)
- ½ tsp of fresh ground pepper
- Heat oil over medium heat in a large skillet.
- Cook your TVP/TSP/vegan meat alternative until it dries out quite a bit and if you can, until a bit crispy (without burning), for about 5-8 minutes. Remove the sausage from the pan and set aside, leaving in the crumbs/remaining liquid.
- Add in your can of coconut milk, flour, salt, to your original sausage pan over medium low heat, and whisk until everything is well combined.
- Your gravy will probably be pretty thick after everything has combined, so at this point add in your non-dairy milk to thin it out ¼ cup at a time, until its your desired consistency.
- Once everything is all whisked together, at your desired consistency, add in your desired amount of breakfast sausage and cook for a few minutes until the sausage is heated again.
- Remove from heat and taste for salt and add in your pepper. As your gravy sits, it will clump up, so if this happens either add a little bit more almond/other non-dairy milk, or water and whisk again.
- Serve over biscuits, tofu scramble, or whatever else you'd like!
- Snob Away!
Like this recipe? Want more?
Then check out my 20+ page back to school vegan recipe ebook!Download Your eBook!