Whooohoo happy Vegan MoFo post number 16! More than halfway done! Today’s post is for a quick and easy, creamy, vegan penne rosa. The recipe is super easily adaptable, so if you like basil heavy pastas, just add more fresh basil. If you want yours creamier, use canned coconut instead of plain non-dairy milk. This recipe calls for soaked cashews, which are best soaked 2 hours up to overnight, but if you’re in a crunch for time, don’t sweat, just boil them for about 10 minutes and they’ll soften that way! But if you don’t want to go the cashew route, you could just substitute it with coconut milk! As a warning, I have a lot of pumpkin puree leftover from those cinnamon rolls, so there will be a few more pumpkin based recipes in my (and your!) future!
If you didn’t know, I send out a weekly roundup of all my Vegan MoFo recipes, so if you want them all in one place each week, sign up for my newsletter, or if you want them more often, be sure to follow me on Bloglovin‘!
Like how this recipe looks? Be sure to download my fall favorite recipes ebook now!
Thank you again for all your continuing support! I’ve loved all your comments and emails! Keep em coming! Also, if you ever make a recipe, make sure to tag vegetarainsnob (#vegetariansnob) so that I can see and share your versions! Thanks to Julie for sharing her Better than Velveeta Mac on Twitter!
— Julie Rogers (@jules_rogers) September 8, 2014
I hope you enjoy this recipe! And stay tuned for a series of decadent savory fall favorite vegan recipes!
- ½ 16 oz box of penne (or your favorite pasta)
- 1 cup of raw, unsalted cashews
- ½ cup of vegetable broth or water
- ½ cup of plain, unsweetened, non-dairy milk
- ½ cup of vegan marinara/red sauce
- ½ tsp of red pepper flakes
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- ½ tsp of garlic powder
- ½ tsp of salt
- 2 Tbl nooch (aka nutritional yeast)
- ½ cup of packed fresh basil
- 1 cup of raw spinach
- If soaking cashews: place your cashews in a jar or a bowl and cover with water until your cashews are soft for at least 2 hours, up to overnight.
- If you don’t have time to soak your cashews, then bring 2 cups of water to a boil. Add in your raw cashews and reduce heat down to a simmer and cook for about 15 minutes, or until soft. Drain and rinse your cashews. Set aside.
- Cook pasta according to box directions. Drain and set aside.
- While your pasta is cooking, combine your soaked or boiled cashews in a food processor or blender with your broth or water, non-dairy milk, marinara, red pepper flakes, oregano, garlic powder, salt, nutritional yeast, and basil. Process until smooth. With your cashews this may take awhile, up to 10 minutes, so just keep an eye on it.
- Once you’ve reached your desired consistency, add your sauce to a medium saucepan. Add in your spinach and cook until your sauce is heated through and your spinach is wilty. Top your pasta with any leftover fresh basil. Serve immediately.
- Snob Away.
I’m excited for the next round of Vegan MoFo recipes and I hope you are too! Plus we’ll be in Vegas next week so maybe there will be some Vegas themed posts!
Like this recipe, but too busy to cook? Pin it for later!
Want more recipes in a nice little PDF?
Then check out my 20+ page back to school vegan recipe ebook!