If you liked my bread recipe from this weekend, then you’ll love this soup because they make a perfect couple ;). The cauliflower is perfect because it’s a thick, rich, and creamy soup without all the heavy ingredients, like potatoes. If you want an even creamier soup, you could easily add a potato or two, but if you want to keep it warm but a little lighter, opt for just a head of cauliflower.
The temperatures are still frigid here in New York and besides baking loaves of bread (which I do too often!), I’ve been enjoying my fair share of warm, savory soups! But for those of you on the West Coast, don’t fear this soup, it’s warm and savory, but is still a delicious addition to any kale salad!
If you like the looks of this recipe, be sure to download my 10 most popular vegan recipes eBook!
This soup, my italian herb bread, and a side kale salad make for a perfect work lunch (for an added bonus, bring your soup in a mason jar to avoid spillage!). Cauliflower is a great alternative to heavier dishes, which is why this cauliflower soup is hearty enough to keep you fueled all day, but not packed with heavy ingredients that will slow you down post lunch. Plus this dish is vegan and gluten-free, so it’s allergy friendly!
I have a lot more recipes and reviews headed your way, so be sure to stay tuned for more breakfast options, protein boosters, and more! If you aren’t a fan of cauliflower typically, give this soup a shot, you’ll be pleasantly surprised! Another awesome way to enjoy cauliflower is cauliflower wings (I’ll share the recipe later!). But if you’re not eating your cauliflower, you should be! It’s super healthy and good for you! But I know, baby steps, so start here!
- 2 Tbl Earth Balance
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 2 stalks of celery, diced
- 1 head of cauliflower, chopped
- 4 cups of vegan chick’n broth, or vegetable broth
- 1 bay leaf
- 2 Tbl fresh rosemary, chopped
- 1 tsp fresh thyme, chopped
- 4 slices tempeh bacon
- ½ cup unsweetened, original almond milk
- ½ cup canned coconut milk
- salt and pepper, to taste
- In a large stockpot, heat butter over medium heat. Add your garlic and onions and sauté until they’re translucent, about 5 minutes.
- Add in your celery and cauliflower and coat with the butter mix, stirring for about 1 to 2 minutes.
- Add in your broth, bay leaf, rosemary, and thyme, bring to a boil. Reduce heat down and let simmer over medium low heat until your cauliflower is very tender for about 15-20 minutes. In the meantime prepare your tempeh bacon.
- Heat olive oil over medium heat and add in your tempeh bacon and cook until crispy for about 3-5 minutes.
- Once all your ingredients are tender, remove your bay leaf and discard, and either wait until your soup cools and transfer to a food processor or blender and puree until your soup is at your desired consistency, or use an immersion blender (aka handheld blender), blend until your soup is to your desired consistency. I like to leave it a little chunky.
- Add in your almond and coconut milk and whisk until thickened, about 1 minute. Taste for salt and pepper. Top with your tempeh bacon, and snob away!
I can’t wait to share my next recipes with you! This weekend I have a recipe prepared that you’ll love, it’s my all time favorite vegan, protein-packed breakfast! Plus, later this week I’ll be sharing some news about an awesome new protein powder on the market!
Be sure to check out my homemade italian bread from scratch to pair perfectly with this cozy soup!