Hey veg lovers! Today, being Monday, I have another great Meatless Monday recipe for you! As the days are getting colder and shorter, we’ve been craving something warm! Since I’m still in fall mode and have lots of butternut squash lying around, I made a creamy butternut squash lasagna! This vegan lasagna features a great butternut squash filling and a no-joke vegan béchamel basil sauce. If you want a quicker meal, just use the butternut sauce and spread it over some pasta and veggies. Or if you’ve been looking for something creamy, try using the vegan béchamel sauce! Warm up your November with this rich lasagna!
You might wonder how such a dairy based entrée like lasagna could possibly be veganized, let alone taste good. With the power of coconut milk, almond milk, and vegan mozzarella cheese, I think you might be pleasantly surprised. The non vegans out there might be making questioning this, but I urge you to give it a shot, step out of your comfort zone, and see how you can make one of the most dairy rich entrees an excellent vegan delight! And while doing it, think about how awesome you are for not using any animal products and creating a slightly healthier version of lasagna for your body! This also makes a great dish to prepare ahead of time for a quick lunch for the workweek.
- 1 medium butternut squash
- 4 Tbl earth balance
- ¼ cup flour
- 1 15 oz can coconut milk
- 1 cup almond milk
- Dash of pumpkin spice (optional or nutmeg)
- 1 cup basil leaves
- Salt to taste
- Pepper to taste
- 12 lasagna noodles
- ¼ cup Nutritional yeast
- 2 cup vegan mozzarella (we like follow your heart mozzarella)
- Roast butternut squash (recipe here)
- While squash is roasting, you can make the vegan béchamel sauce by melting butter in a medium sauce pan.
- Add flour and whisk for 1 min
- Slowly add coconut milk and almond milk while whisking
- Bring sauce to a boil then lower heat to simmer sauce until it thickens, about 5-7 min
- Add pumpkin spice and mix in
- Cool sauce for 5-10 min and transfer to a blender and blend the basil- be VERY careful blending hot liquids and use a towel to cover any small openings in blender. Don't overfill blender either, blend in smaller batches if needed.
- Transfer sauce back to pot and add salt and pepper to taste and stir to mix in.
- Cook the pasta according to package directions. If using no-cook pasta, then skip this step!
- Take roasted squash and peel by slicing the skin off with a large knife being very careful as the squash will be very hot, if just roasted.
- Cube the squash and then blend with nutritional yeast again being careful of the hot liquid.
- Butter a large glass baking dish and spread ¾ Cup of the vegan béchamel sauce on the bottom
- Place 3 noodles on top
- Spread ⅓ butternut squash sauce on noodles
- Put ½ cup of vegan mozzarella on top
- Put ½ cup of vegan béchamel sauce on top
- Repeat 3 times
- Cover baking dish with foil and cook for 40 min
- Add the rest of the vegan mozzarella and cook 10 min uncovered
- Cool and enjoy the 'cheesy,' creamy goodness!
That’s a lot of steps and takes about an hour and a half but it’s so worth it! Plus, you can use this vegan béchamel sauce for other recipes! There is a lot of room for personal additions and substitutions and we would love to hear what you think. Enjoy this recipe and let it warm you up in this great month of November! And be sure to stay tuned for some of our fall favorites coming up all through November!
Did you like this recipe? Be sure to leave us a comment and let us know! We’d love to hear from you!
Want more from us? Sign Up To See What We’re Cooking Up!