6 days until Thanksgiving! Today’s recipe is for a super simple Thanksgiving staple, the old fashioned yeast dinner roll! These vegan dinner rolls are my favorite. They’re super light and super fluffy!
Although these are yeast based rolls, which require just a little bit of kneading and rising, don’t fear, they’re super easy to make! These are best made a little bit in advance so that you can allow yourself enough time to let the yeast activate, and let the dough rise properly. This particular recipe makes a HUGE batch (like I’m talking 25-40 mini rolls!), so these are perfect for your Thanksgiving leftovers, but don’t feel obligated to make the entire batch just keep the ratios in mind and do a half batch (but they’ll be a hit)! Dinner roll Tofurky sandwiches, anyone?
Have you claimed your 18 vegan traditional (and non!) recipes yet? Even if you’re a non-vegan there’s some great swap ideas for the holiday or the coming weeks for quick lunches and dinners!
But these rolls can be done in a couple of ways. You can make them using a muffin tin and just throwing a little bit of dough in one to bake, they turn out great, although the presentation of the rolls will be a little compromised because they’ll have the muffin bottom look, but this is a super convenient option.
Another option you could do is just hand rolling them out and baking them, but keep in mind that these babies will rise and double in size so be careful laying them out on a lined baking sheet. For an even more decadent roll, be sure to lightly brush with butter and a tiny sprinkle of sea salt just before baking to give it that especially golden glow!
- 1 packet of active dry yeast
- 1 cup of warm water
- ½ cup of sugar
- 1 flax egg 1 Tbl ground flax meal with 3 Tbl water and whisked until thickened
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 cup of warm almond milk (or your vegan milk of preference)
- 1 stick of vegan butter (I like Earth Balance), melted
- 5 cups of all purpose flour
- Dissolve yeast in warm water with the sugar and whisk until everything is combined. The yeast will activate by getting a little foamy in about 5 minutes.
- Once yeast is done activating or is foamy, add your flax "egg", salt, milk, and melted butter
- Add flour slowly to the batch of the liquid ingredients until the dough is elastic
- Mix well and once everything is combined flour a surface and knead the dough for 5 minutes
- Place the dough in a bowl and cover with plastic wrap and let rise for about one hour or until its doubled in size
- If you have a large muffin pan the easiest way to make these rolls is by rolling a 3 inch ball or 3 one inch balls and placing those in the cups, they might look like muffins, but it’s an easy way to make these. If you don't want to do that, you can just roll out your dough and shape into balls and place them on a greased baking sheet, but keep in mind to cook them for less time!
- Let your dough rest for another 30 minutes. Preheat your oven to 425 degrees F.
- Brush your rolls with butter and bake for 10-12 minutes until your rolls are golden.
- Snob Away
Enjoy this recipe! Also, we’re down to the wire, what last minute recipe inspiration do you need? Leave me a comment below or on my Facebook page I’d love to help in anyway that I can since this will be my 6th vegan Thanksgiving!