Vegan Philly Cheese Steak Sandwich
Who said you miss out on certain food since you’re a vegan?! NOT ME! The Philly Cheese Steak Sandwich is a big deal in the United States, especially Philly, and me, not being from anywhere near there, never became that fond of the sandwich or even liked it that much. But for some reason today, last night I really craved a Philly cheese steak sandwich and so I came up with this creation! For those of you that are Philly Cheese Steak connoisseurs and also happen to be vegan, let me know what you would do with yours in the comments below! I know there are some variations in the sandwich so I’d love to hear your thoughts…
By the way, this sandwich also goes great with a glass of beer on a nice cool summer night like here in Colorado last night. Also don’t worry too much about the long list of ingredients, it doesn’t take very long to make, I’d say 30-40 minutes (and I’m kinda slow…) Seitan, vegan cheese, fresh mushrooms, onions and peppers, you can’t go wrong. Enjoy!
[ Yield: 2-3 sandwiches ]
.25 lb of crimini and shiitake mushrooms (your choice of ratio, I did more crimini)
1 green bell pepper
1 poblano pepper
3/4 C vegan cheese (I used Follow Your Heart Vegan Gourmet Monterey Jack) (I would also stick with a milder white vegan cheese as well)
8 oz. of seitan (I used Upton’s Naturals Italian flavor but any should be fine)
1 yellow onion
vegan hoagie buns (I used whole wheat ones from Whole Foods)
1/2 T vegan butter (I always use Earth Balance)
1/2 T all purpose flour
1 C almond milk
2 T olive oil
salt to taste
pepper to taste
The vegan cheese sauce
1. Melt 1/2 T vegan butter in a sauce pan
2. Add 1/2 T flour and whisk around for 30 seconds
3. Add 1 C almond milk to the mix slowly, whisking as you go and cook for about 3-4 minutes
4. Take off heat and mix in vegan cheese and also add salt and pepper to taste
The onion, bell pepper, poblano pepper, mushrooms, and seitan
5. Slice onion to your desired cut (I sliced mine thin but not too small)
6. Slice your peppers into strips (TIP: try and remove the white looking “veins” of the peppers which are the culprits of bitterness in the peppers)
7. Destem the shiitake mushrooms as the stems are tough and bitter. The crimini stems are fine!
8. Heat 2 T of olive oil in a large skillet pan
9. Toss in the veggie mixture and saute for 5-10 minutes until all is cooked well or to your desired outcome
10. Add salt and pepper to taste
11. Either at the same time while cooking your veggies or after, heat up your seitan in a skillet. (I heated mine up after the veggies and cooked it in the same pan to avoid extra dishes- I don’t like lots of dishes…)
Composing the vegan Philly cheese steak sandwich (AKA: Your Masterpiece)
11. Grab a vegan hoagie roll and slice it open
12. Add a layer of seitan on the bottom of the roll
13. Slather on some vegan cheese sauce mixture on top of the seitan
14. Pile on the veggies, close the sucker up, and eat it!
BONUS STEP: Take a picture of it and send it to me so I can post it on our site or attach it in your comment below!
I hope you enjoy this as much as I did making it and more importantly, eating it. I haven’t had many Philly cheese steak sandwiches in my life, but I must say, this is a damn good vegan sandwich! Until next time, leave us a comment if you like this, check us out on your favorite social media outlet floating in the bottom right corner- twitter, Pinterest, facebook, and soon to be YouTube (kind of embarrassing first cooking video coming soon…) Hope all is well with you and you’re having a great summer.
-Vegan Bachelor Jeff
Do you like vegetarian/vegan food? Interested in learning more about recipes, tips, secrets, and products we love? Sign Up For Exclusive Vegan/Vegetarian tips!